Alberta Prairie Railway Excursions
A Major Alberta Attraction - Great For The Whole Family
"Teddy Bear Special" (T) Excursions
Specials are one of two types of diesel-powered excursions
designed specifically for the entertainment of children.
Discounted fares and children's entertainment make these trips very popular with
families with children. Children 10 and under ride free when accompanied by
their bears and a parent/guardian.
a.m. - Passengers arrive and train available for boarding
11:00 a.m. - Train departs Stettler station
- Passengers will be served by a full complement of Alberta
Prairie hosts, hostesses and train operating crew.
- Typically the train features two concession and souvenir
areas, open air observation car, children's play area, two beverage service
areas, a special coach designated and decorated as the Lone Star Saloon.
- On-board public address system keeps passengers abreast of
features along route, history of the area and things to see and do at
- During your journey, we pass through some of the best farm
lands in Alberta rich with various kinds of animals, birds and plant life.
Sightings of deer and coyotes are common.
- On route points of interest include the Fenn-Big Valley
oilfields, Fenn General Store, Warden Jct. rail yards and locomotive shelter,
and Caprona siding.
- Passengers will be encouraged to wander, visit and
re-discover the sights, sounds and smells of turn-of-the-century train travel.
- Clowns and special children's sing-along entertainers move about the train entertaining and
12:35 p.m. - Train arrives at Big Valley
- Passengers are met by the good people of Big Valley and are
directed to community hall for supper.
- Menu usually consists of a full home cooked buffet style country meal
including one of roast Alberta beef, baked leg of ham, roast turkey or sliced
meats and potato salad plus hot dogs for the children. Other buffet items may
include vegetables, salads, baked, boiled or mashed potatoes, dinner rolls,
dessert and beverages.
- Before, during and after supper passengers are encouraged
to explore Big Valley and visit its many interesting attractions.
- During your stop at this typical rural Alberta town,
passengers will have a chance to visit a fully restored 1912 Canadian Northern
Railway station which also doubles as the community's museum, historic St.
Edmund's church (the blue church on the hill), Jimmy Jock Boardwalk (an old time
Western town within a town) the railway roundhouse interpretive centre and
wander through this community's shops and stores as they meet the people of Big
2:30 p.m. - Passengers return to train
- All the children and their bears are invited to join
Alberta Prairie's staff and entertainers for a Teddy Bear Promenade. Everyone
receives a gift or prize for their participation.
3:00 p.m. - Depart Big Valley bound for Stettler
- Entertainment in the coaches continues as passengers relax and enjoy
an afternoon journey through the beautiful rolling
hills of this part of Alberta.
3:55 p.m. - Train arrives at Stettler station